SEs by Feature
On the Net columns
Books on Searching
About this Site
Last updated Mar. 03, 2003.
by Greg R.
NOTE: As of Feb. 28, 2003, Northern Light Current News has stopped being updated. Not surprising, since divine, Inc. (which bought Northern Light a year earlier) has filed for bankruptcy earlier that week.
This review will remain available as a reflection of how it used to work. For current news searching, see News Search Engines for alternatives.
- Dates: Only current two weeks is covered in the Current News section. These are free. Older newswire stories are available through the Special Collection for a fee.
- Sources: Covers over 50 newswires including AP Online, UPI, and PR Newswire. Sources list as of early 2003 below.
- Sort: Relevance or date and time in reverse chronological order
- Frequency: According to their documentation, all sites are refreshed every 15 minutes
- Case Recognition: None
- Stop Words: None found
- Truncation: Northern Light has two truncation symbols. The unlimited truncation symbol is an asterisk * while a percent sign % represents any single character. This can be used as internal truncation or end truncation, but a minimum of four characters must appear before a truncation symbol can be used. A single term can include more than one truncation symbol. ALSO, note that all terms are automatically searched in both plural and singular forms. A term entered as plural or as singular will result in the same number of hits. There is currently no way of turning this feature off.
- Boolean:Northern Light supports full Boolean searching with the operators AND, OR, and AND NOT. Searching can be nested using parentheses. Operators can be in lower or upper case. Northern Light can also use a variation of the + - syntax. Northern Light's version differs in that unlike all the other systems using + -, terms entered with no operators or + - notation are processed with an AND.
- Phrase: Phrase searching can be designated by double quotes "" around a search phrase. Note that words within a phrase will be searched in both singular and plural form.
Sources list as of early 2003:
- A&G Information Services
- Advanced Intelligent Network News
- Africa News Service
- Agencia EFE News
- Air Safety Week Technology
- Aircraft Value News Technology
- Airline Financial News
- AP Online News
- Asia Pulse Regional
- Asiaport Daily News News
- Bestwire Service
- Business Wire
- C41 News
- Canadian Corporate News
- Cineman Syndicate News
- Communications Today Technology
- Commuter Regional Airline News Technology
- Corporate EFT Report
- Credit Risk Management Report
- FedNet Government News Government, Law & Politics
- Global Positioning & Navigation News Technology
- Hart's European Fuels News Technology
- Hart's European Offshore Petroleum Newsletter Technology
- Healthcare PR & Marketing News
- Helicopter News Technology
- InfoLatina S.A. de C.V.
- Inter Press Service
- Interactive Sports Wire Sports & Recreation
- Internet Wire
- IPO Monitor
- ITAR/TASS News Agency News
- Item Processing Report
- M2 Communications Ltd.
- Market News Publishing
- MIN Media Industry Newsletter
- Octane Week Technology
- ON24 News
- Oxy-Fuel News Technology
- Petroleum Finance Week Technology
- Phillips Publishing International News
- PR News
- PR Newswire
- PrimeZone Media Network
- Resource News International
- Reuters OnLine News
- Satellite News
- Selling to Kids
- South American Business Information (SABI)
- Space Business News Technology
- Sports Network News Sports & Recreation
- States News Service
- TechWeb News Technology
- Telecoms Deal Report Technology
- U.S. Newswire Government, Law & Politics
- Washington Technology Technology
- Wireless Data News
- Wireless Insider Technology
- World Airline News
- World Airport Week Technology
- Xinhua News Agency News