Yahoo! Search Review Added
Although I've had a review of Yahoo! as a directory for several years, now that Yahoo! has launched its own search engine, I've made a first attempt at a review of its search features. Since it is fairly new, I expect to see the features change over the next few months, but at least I have something up that seems accurate as of today. A few notes about the current version of Yahoo! Search and items highlighted in the review:
- The Yahoo! databases appears to primarily be an Inktomi-like database, but there are significant differences from other Inktomi-based search engines like MSN Search and HotBot.
- Both cached copies of pages and HTML versions of PDF and other file types are available
- Only the first 500 KB of a document are indexed, which is better than Googles 101KB but still short of full document indexing that has been available at AlltheWeb
- Full Boolean searching using AND, OR, NOT, and parentheses for nesting seems to work
- Field searches are available with intitle: inurl, site:, link:, hostname:, and url:
- The new search engine database is available on the main Yahoo! site and directly at search.yahoo.com.