New Look at AlltheWeb and New Site Info
AlltheWeb has a brand new look. There are both cosmetic and content changes. First, the cosmetic changes:
- Banner ads are gone
- More readable results pages
- Advanced search has a new Boolean box
- New color palette
- "Streamline user interface"
- Four font size change icons are gone
- New slogan: Find it all
Even more exciting is their somewhat hidden new search feature, AlltheWeb URL Investigator. This is invoked if you search for a URL. Enter a URL, and the results page will include some if not all of the following information about that URL. See an example for loc.gov.
- FAST Facts including page language, size, and last update date
- The record and a link for the page itself
- The number of pages that link to the URL
- The number of pages that contain the term
- The number of pages at the site
- An Easywhois link to domain ownership information
- A link to the Wayback Machine copies of how the page used to look
- Subdomains at the site, if any
- Open Directory category the page is in, if any
A few other changes to note:
- There is now an easier switch for the offensive content filter. Just click On or Off in the upper right-hand corner to make the change.
- Also, the FAST Topics option is gone from the preferences settings. After months of waiting for FAST Topics to reappear, it looks like they have given up on that initiative.
- The count on the home page went from 2,112,188,990 yesterday to 2,147,483,647 today.